Subject: Re: a light swell
From: Ernie Wright <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 03:33:37 -0400 (EDT)

Justin Barrett wrote:

> If we could create 3D paintings and map them, then it would work, but
> it would take a huge amount of memory since the "image" would have a 3
> dimensional resolution.

Mark Thompson replied:

> This is essentially how volumetric rendering of 3D datasets works, as
> in medical imaging. An image volume is created from slices and then 
> rendered with various degrees of tranapareny.

Here's a subject close to my heart.  I render 3D datasets all the time,
but rather than do it volumetrically, I build isolevel surfaces (3D iso-
contours) that LW can render just like anything else.  Most of the time
I work with dataset *sequences*, and they do indeed take a bit of drive
space.

- Ernie

--
Ernie Wright <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]